These mini tarts are really easy and kinda quick to make, except for the 30mins of stirring to make the custard…but if you keep your mind occupied it will go by really fast, so make yourself a cup of coffee or have your phone close by before you start stirring. All in all it’s a very rewarding feeling that YOU made your OWN custard! So here is the recipe, give it a try, it is really fulfilling and makes your taste buds go BOOM IN YOUR FACE!!!!!
What you need:
1 Mini muffin pan
1 Roll of short crust pastry
The Vanilla Custard Filling:
2 Cups Full cream milk
3 Large egg yolks, beaten
½ Cup Sugar
5 Table spoons flour, sifted
1 Vanilla pod, seeded or ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
Blueberries and Raspberries or really any berries you would like.
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 200’C. Roll out the short crust pastry and using a small flower shaped cookie cutter (or a round one depending what you have) cut out as many as you can fit in the short crust pastry sheet.
- Press the dough flowers into a mini muffin pan and bake in the preheated oven for 8minutes or until the edges are light golden colour.
- Set aside to cool until needed.
The Vanilla Custard filling:
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. If you are using the vanilla pod, after seeding it add it to the mixture as well.
- Pour the mixture into a heavy base saucepan over a medium heat, stirring constantly. Watch your stoves temperature, the custard should not be sticking or burning to the bottom of the pan.
- The mixture will start to thicken after 20-30 minutes, so now is the time to get out your phone and drink that cup of coffee that you made before the stirring started.
- If you are using the vanilla pod remove it from the mixture just before it starts to thicken.
- The custard is ready when it is no longer runny and has a stiff texture.
- Allow to cool before spooning into the crust.
- Spoon teaspoons full of the custard into the crust and top with the berries!
Serve and Enjoy!